I am a writer and researcher based in Amsterdam.
I document and investigate people’s relationships with technology at Affect Lab, a research studio I co-founded in 2012. Mobile culture was the subject of my doctoral research from 2013- 2019 at the department of Media, Communications & Cultural Studies at Goldsmiths College, University of London.
My project ‘How to Read a Story About Burn-out‘ was awarded the 2018/19 Het Nieuwe Instituut Research Fellowship.
I am fascinated by our affective attachments to technology, and how through technological practices we develop certain feelings and relationships. My starting point for understanding techno-culture has always been the body, that is, through concepts and experiences of embodiment. Using narrative, affective, sensory and ethnographically inflected methods I analyse how various bodies influence (and are influenced) by technology.
Projects in Development
Good Neighbours, an interactive documentary with Klasien van de Zandschulp.
Take Care 1012, a research and storytelling project with Bob van Toor and Roelof Petrus van Wyk.
‘How To Read a Story About Burn-out’ www.astoryaboutburnout.org.
Talking with Your Mouth Full in collaboration with Zhenia Sveshchinskaya.
Fak’ugesi festival, Johannesburg (August 31 – 8 September 2019)
Digital Fortress Europe, Brussels (30-31 October 2019).
Minor in Journalism, Summer School, Oxford University (July 2019);
Introduction to Digital Media, Webster University (Leiden) (August 2019).
Media Theory at ArtEZ Art Academy, Interaction Design Department (September – December 2019)
- ‘Refusing Shame and Inertia’ in Digital Culture & Society (Forthcoming October 2019).
- ‘Stranger-ness and Belonging in a Neighbourhood WhatsApp Group’ (2018) (PDF) in Open Cultural Studies – Special Issue on “Media and Emotions. The New Frontiers of Affect in Digital Culture”
- The Hunt for Affect (PDF)
- The Affective Turn of Mobile Phones: A study of affect in mobile-mediated communication (PDF)
- You Are What You Tweet in Interactions magazine.
- FoodMood: Measuring Global Food Sentiment One Tweet at a Time for the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence.
- PhD (Media & Communications) Goldsmiths College, University of London
- MA (New Media) University of Amsterdam
- BJourn (Bachelor of Journalism) Rhodes University, South Africa
(photo credit: Antal Guszlev)