I am a writer and researcher based in Amsterdam.
As a researcher I document and investigate people’s relationships with mobile technology at Affect Lab, an online archive of mobile culture I co-founded in 2012. Mobile culture is also the subject of my PhD research at the department of Media and Communications, Goldsmiths College.
I am fascinated by our affective attachment to mobile phones, and how through mobile practices we develop certain feelings and relationships. My starting point for understanding mobile culture has always been the body, that is, through concepts and experiences of embodiment. Using narrative, affective, sensory and ethnographically inflected methods I analyse how various bodies influence (and are influenced) by technology.
As a writer and editor I have worked for various publications including ELLE, National Geographic Traveller, Marie Claire, Mail&Guardian, TimeOut, SL, HYPE.
In a previous life I worked as a digital publisher — marrying content and digital platforms to improve the bottom line. My past experience includes working on global editorial brands such as National Geographic, seventeen and Real Simple while based in South Africa at Media24 and Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy in Amsterdam.
July 2018 Lecturing at an Oxford University summer school in Media & Communication.
January 2018 Published: ‘Stranger-ness and Belonging in a Neighbourhood WhatsApp Group‘ (2017) in Open Cultural Studies – Special Issue on “Media and Emotions. The New Frontiers of Affect in Digital Culture”.
- ‘Stranger-ness and Belonging in a Neighbourhood WhatsApp Group‘ (2017)
in Open Cultural Studies – Special Issue on “Media and Emotions. The New Frontiers of Affect in Digital Culture”
- The Hunt for Affect (download PDF)
- The Affective Turn of Mobile Phones: A study of affect in mobile-mediated communication (download PDF)
- You Are What You Tweet in Interactions magazine.
- FoodMood: Measuring Global Food Sentiment One Tweet at a Time for the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence.
- PhD (Media & Communication) at Goldsmiths College, University of London (completion in 2018)
- MA (New Media) University of Amsterdam
- BJourn (Bachelor of Journalism) Rhodes University, South Africa
(photo credit: Antal Guszlev)